Medication Administration in the School New York State Guidelines
- Parents of students needing to take medication during school hours should contact the Health Office for physician/parent consent forms or visit the link on this website.
- NYS mandates that a physician's order is required for all prescription AND over the counter medications. This includes, but is not limited to, cough drops, Motrin,Tylenol, ointments or eye drops and any homeopathic medications.
- All medications must be brought to school by an adult in the original labeled prescription or over the counter container.
- Please do not send medication into school with your child.
- All medications MUST be delivered to the health office by an adult. It will be kept in a locked cabinet or, if necessary, refrigerated and dispensed as ordered by authorized personnel.
- Only empty prescription / over the counter medication containers may be returned home with the student. Otherwise an adult will need to come to the health office to pick up any unused medication.
- Medication not picked up by the last day of school will be disposed of per NYS law.